Being informed during pregnancy is empowering. I've prepared this comprehensive list of links to get you started in your journey towards becoming a mother.
- Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds -- Cynthia Gabriel. This book receives consistently positive reviews from prenatal yoga students and birth clients. The author is a medical anthropologist, mother of three, and a doula with over 100 births
- Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: A Doctor's Guide to Natural Childbirth and Gentle Early Parenting Choices. -- Sarah Buckley, MD.
- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth - Ina May Gaskin
- The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth - Henci Goer
- Birthing from Within - Pam England
- Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding - Ina May Gaskin
- Natural Health After Birth -- Aviva Romm, MD. Herbalist, Homebirth Midwife and MD--an excellent resource for postpartum health.
- Mothering the New Mother - Sally Placksin
- The 90-Minute Baby Sleep Program: Following Your Child's Natural Sleep Rhythms for Better Nights and Better Naps -- Polly Moore. A simple approach to making sense of your days with an infant.
WEBSITES AND LINKS
- Safe Co-Sleeping Guidelines – A one-page must read for all parents by James McKenna, PhD, biological anthropologist at the Mother-Baby Sleep Lab, at the University of Notre Dame. Whatever a parent's initial intentions for where their baby `will sleep, babies at least occasionally, and sometimes often, end up sleeping in bed with their parents for part of the night. These safe cosleeping guidelines allow parents to set up a safe environment even if bedsharing is not part of their initial sleep plan for their baby.
PREGNANCY, LABOR AND BIRTH
- Birth Media Website by Childbirth Educator and Film Maker, Vicki Elson. “What do you really need to know about having a baby."
- Alternatives for gestational diabetes testing
- Childbirth Connection: Comprehensive website: "Helping women and healthcare professionals make informed maternity care decisions".
- Choosing A Caregiver: An excellent article from Childbirth Connection about the most important labor & birth decision parents-to-be make: how to choose their caregiver.
- "Labor Induction: The Low-Down on Natural Approaches from a Midwife-MD" (Aviva Romm.)
- Let Labor Begin On Its Own: Balanced, well-referenced article on the Lamaze website.
- Spinning Babies: Figure out how your little one is positioned. Fun way to learn about optimal fetal positioning. Love this website!
- Use of a Peanut Ball During Labor: A study done at Banner Hospital system in Arizona describing decreased length of labor and decreased cesarean rate in women using the Isokinetics peanut ball.
- The Magical Hour
- The Pioneer Valley Breastfeeding Coalition provides an updated list of breastfeeding clinics, private practice lactation consultants, La Leche meetings and hotline/warmline phone numbers.
- Mother Love Breastfeeding Blog
- Beating The Booby Traps
- Natural Breastfeeding videos with Nancy Mohrbach.
- Dr. Jack Newman: Answers to all your breastfeeding questions.
- Postpartum Support International. Get the facts about postpartum mood and anxiety disorders and get connected to help including information for partners.
- Postpartum Progress is an award-winning peer-to-peer blog with in-depth, easy to read information.
- MotherWoman, Inc. is a local organization, nationally recognized for its model of postpartum support groups. There are several support groups in Western Massachusetts run by MotherWoman-trained facilitators.
- Beyond Birth: Great space at Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton for your first outing. Anyone with newborns welcome. Meet other parents with infants. Thursdays from 1-3 pm.